Buying your first Toronto home
Once you have decided to move to Toronto, you will need to find a place to live. When you are looking to buy real estate in Toronto, you can easily get overwhelmed in the search for a new home. Searching for a new home to buy can be a very complicated process, especially for first-time home buyers. It is such a huge investment that involves a lot of legal procedures, paperwork, and time. That is why the process of buying is never easy. Fortunately, there are many tips you can follow to make your Toronto home-buying experience a little less scary.
Step One: Preplanning
First, you want to make sure that buying a new home in Toronto is the right thing to do. Since your home will be a huge investment, you will want to make sure you can afford all the costs. You should do plenty of research and calculations about how much you can afford for a down payment and how much you could spend on monthly mortgage payments. Secondly, you should be sure that you want to stay put for a while. It might not be worth going through the trouble of buying a home if you are going to move out in a year or two.
Step two: Finding a real estate agent
Once you determine that you want to buy a home, make a list of what you want out of it. For instance, you’ll want to decide in advance how many bedrooms and bathrooms you want. You will also want to know the maximum distance from your workplace. By having these requirements laid out in advance, you have to decide if you will hire a real estate agent. With the help of a real estate agent, the procedure of buying a new home can be much easier. You can use the services of an agent to help you find a place within your price range. He can also assist you with all of the necessary paperwork.
You may sell your house before moving. Gather information about the real estate market in your current area before you decide on the price. Checking online listing and taking a tour of your future Toronto neighborhood will help.
The ways of finding a real estate agent:
- Get referrals. You can always talk to friends or relatives who have recently bought a home with the help of an agent. When you get a recommendation for a specific agent, you can be more comfortable letting him help you in buying a new home.
- Go to open houses. You can go to an open house in Toronto and experience firsthand the service of a real estate agent. And the good thing is that you do not have to commit to hiring one. This way, you can see how certain agents work and how focused they are on selling real estate in Toronto.
- Read the local newspaper. Many agencies still use printed advertisements, although most real estate listings you can find on the internet. Check the local newspaper to find the listings and to get the names of real estate agents in Toronto.
It can be really hard to find a new Toronto home on your own. That is why you should employ a real estate agent. You can trust your agent to help you with finding and buying a new home that fits your needs.
Step three: Finding your new Toronto home
When you have hired a real estate agent, he will show you a number of houses in Toronto that meet your requirements. Here are some tips on what you should keep in mind:
- Always bring a camera and a notepad. That way you will have documentation about what you liked or did not like about each house you looked at.
- After looking at different homes, you can review your pictures and notes. That will help you define which houses in Toronto you liked the best.
- Then you can revisit your top choices and finally make your final decisions.
- It is important to know that if you see a home that entirely meets your needs, do not deliberate on it too long. If you wait, someone else might buy it and ruin your Toronto dream.
Step four: Getting a mortgage
Another important step of buying a new Toronto home is getting a mortgage. It is very important to remember that you should look around for different lenders and banks before you try to get a mortgage from just one. If you shop around, you will find that each bank and lender may offer diverse deals and interest rates. Although you might not get approved for the best mortgage, it is still important to look into all of your possibilities. That way, you will have a better chance of getting approved for one type, rather than getting rejected and having to start all over.
Step five: Hire a reliable moving company
Once you have bought a new Toronto home, you have to transport your household into it. The ideal scenario would be to find a moving company in Toronto that has reasonable prices, but you still have to make sure that they offer insurance for your things. You must be careful because some companies offer excessively cheap price for the moving service. That may seem like a good choice, but be aware that companies like that often do not offer insurance for your items or some services that are crucial for your relocation and they also may be fraudulent moving companies. Because of that, you need to check both the price and the quality of services that moving companies are offering. You must find a moving company that exceeds your expectations, meets your needs and fits your budget.