All you should know before moving to Canada
Moving to Canada is a dream coming true for many people. Since this country is so culturally diverse, there’s no surprise that more newcomers are coming to this country every year. Before you relocate to this beautiful country, make sure to do a research and find decent moving and storage companies in Toronto. Having moving professionals’ help will prevent moving complications and help you focus on your new life in Canada.
Before you pack your moving boxes, take a look at some facts about this country. If you keep reading, you’ll find out all you should know before moving to Canada.
There is no doubt that Canada weather can get really cold. If you are moving to Canada from a warmer climate, this might be a big change for you. During winter, temperatures go as low as -25 °C. However, when it comes to summertime, it’s one of the best time to be in Canada, since it can be warm, but not too much. Transition seasons – autumn and spring are relatively short, while wintertime can last from 3 to 5 months if you count by the average temperature.
Canada is a perfect home for those not looking for a country with mild temperatures. However, Canada residents are known for getting the most out of the snowy weather. If you are into winter sports, you will love this country. However, keep in mind that most locals are used to having lots of snow around, so don’t expect to call in sick every time snow blocks your home entrance.
If you already decided to move to Canada, spring or summer would be a perfect time of the year to do so. There are many reasons for this. First of all, getting to know Canada when the weather is nice is perfect for newcomers. Second of all, if you move to Canada in summer, you will have more time to adapt, before the harsh winter time comes.
Finding a job in Canada
If you are looking forward to a new life in Canada, you are not the one. Many people from all around the world are looking to find happiness in this promising country. However, if you are not moving to Canada for a job you already got, there are some things you should know. First of all, finding a job in Canada can take time. Since so many immigrants come every year, catching the job of your life might be difficult. After moving to Canada, it could take up to 6 months until you can find a perfect job opportunity.
- Prepare all of your paperwork, including visa papers and working permits
- Start looking for job listings few months ahead
- If you have the opportunity, contact some friends and/or acquaintances in order to connect with people. The more contacts you have, the better chance you`ll have of getting a good recommendation.
- Look for a list of deficit jobs in Canada. This list is easy to find on the official website for Canada immigrants.
- Make sure to have a proper CV. If you are a specialist in a certain field, don’t forget to mention it in your official CV. Moreover, make sure to write down all additional skills and job experience that you have.
- Before moving to Canada for a job, make sure to prepare a fund for the first few months. Living in Canada doesn’t come cheap, especially if you don’t have a job.
The cost of living in Canada
Canada is one of the most expensive countries to live in. However, the average cost of living may vary, depending on the part of the country and the city you want to move to. Before moving to Canada, make sure to find out more about basic costs of living. You should check everything from groceries, gas and transportation prices, rent and all other costs. For example, if you move to a bigger city like Toronto or Vancouver, you might find it pretty expensive. On the other hand, you could find smaller cities more affordable, especially if you’re moving to Canada without a job.
What should you do before moving to Canada?
Before you pack your bags and hire a moving company, it’s important that you prepare for your relocation. Take a look at the following checklist:
- Hire a good moving company as soon as you can. This is important especially if you’re moving long distance to Canada. Having professional help will take a lot off of your shoulders. A good moving company will not only transport your belongings to Canada. They will also pack your moving boxes and find you a good storage solution. Make sure to start looking for movers on time in order to get a discount on their services.
- Find a proper housing in Canada, and before you do that, decide whether to rent or to buy a property in this country. Canada is known to be pretty expensive, so make sure to make a right decision about your new home. Depending on your job and family status, as well as your financial situation, you should make a housing plan at least few months ahead.
- Start looking for a job on time. Don’t be fooled by people who were lucky to find a job in Canada in a matter of days. This might not be your situation, so make sure to browse the internet and look for job listings online.